And so it begins. My full month of Vegan food and fun for ‘Vegan MoFo – 2013″ This should be fun!
Well, if I had a maid and won the lottery it would be more fun but still….
And my theme this year will be…wait for it….RED FOOD. Why? don’t know, but it is. Well, red foods can be actually very healthy so we’ll say that’s why its my theme but it is really just a way to keep myself on course through all the recipes this month. So many other Vegans have pledge to go crazy with me so be sure to check out the Vegan MoFo site for all the details.
Now on to my first Red Wonder Food.
My Key Lime Red Raspberry Vegan Cheesecake is one of the first non-dairy desserts that I developed a few years back when I swore off milk and cheese. It’s a cashew basic but I tried to spice it up some for the event this month with loads of fresh raspberries and a fist full of coconut flakes to top it off. Believe me, the Key Lime plain is worth its weight in gold. Well maybe not at today’s market. But its good. The raspberries just make it look and taste like something to show off.
Your mouth wont know which taste to enjoy first…so you’ll take another bite to continue contemplating the flavors. Then you’ll just say ‘screw it, it tastes great’ and enjoy the rest of your cake. I really love this as an after dinner treat because it has such a light effect on the stomach you may just want another piece 😉
- For the Crust
- 1 Cup Soaked Walnuts
- 8 - 10 soaked Dates
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Stevia
- ⅓ Cup Cocoa Powder
- For the Cake:
- 5 Tbs. Key Lime Juice or fresh Lime
- 1 Cup Soaked Cashews, rinsed and drained
- 1 Cup Sweetened Coconut
- 8 Oz. non dairy creamy cheese (like Tofutti) room temperature
- 4 Tbs. melted Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Stevia (I used NuNaturals brand)
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 1 Tbs. of Guar Gum or Corn Starch for thickening
- 2 Cups of Frozen Raspberries
- 1 Cup Fresh Raspberries
- 1 Cup Shredded Coconut flakes
- Combine the crust ingredients in a blender and pulse until they will hold together when pressed but before they become too smooth. Don't make walnut butter.
- Press the crust ball into the bottom and lower sides of a medium size springform cheesecake pan. Place in the freezer while you mix up the cake filling.
- Combine all the Cake ingredients in a blender until Very smooth. Pour the mixture on top of the chilled crust. Cover and freeze for 1-2 hours until the top of the cake is completely hardened. This cake will need to be kept in the freezer until serving.
- For the raspberry topping:
- In a small saucepan, combine 2 cups of frozen raspberries, 1 tsp. fresh lemon or lime juice and 1 tsp. of liquid Stevia. Heat to a boil and then simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes until the fruit breaks down and begins to thicken. Remove from heat and cool in the fridge until you are ready to serve the cheescake.
- To serve:
- Remove the cake from the freezer and remove the springform pan sides. Pour the raspberry sauce on top of the cake and spread to coat. Sprinkle the raspberry sauce with shredded coconut. The cake will cut easily after this or keep refrigerated until just before serving. Makes 6 medium slices. Store in the freezer.
Red Food Health Benefits
Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Tons of healthy Flavonoids, Cancer fighting Antioxidants, Polyphenols to help prevent heart disease, Lycopene, Anthocyanins to reduce inflammation, Beta-carotene………and oh yea…they taste awesome!
More red foods to come. Happy Vegan MoFo all you bloggers out there ♥
More from my site
- Homegrown Fresh Mint Tea
- Fresh & Fruity Watermelon Granita