When you don’t have exactly what you think you need for a new dish…sometimes what you do have will surprise you.
I needed to use up a small bag of Baby Bella Mushrooms from my last produce order from From the Farmer. But I was making a slaw dish with the last of my Bok Choy from the same lot. Why not? I made up some delicious slaw dressing using the pureed mushrooms mixed in with traditional slaw seasonings. No compliant about the nutrition and taste in this side dish. The Baby Bellas creamed up in the food processor to make a deliciously lite and tangy sauce for my slaw. The color was a tad bit untraditional for slaw. But I got over that when I took my first fork full. A new way to make mayo for us here.
If mushrooms in your slaw just doesn’t do it for you, I have several other summer slaws that may light up your grilled corn or veggie burgers. My idea here is to use your fresh vegetables when they’re ripe and ready. And if you come up with a new way to encorporate those flavors to your meals, even better for your and your body.
What are your summer favorites? Do you make special slaw that you just love with a summer meal? Please share. I’m always in search of family favorites when it comes to veggies and summer salads.
Have a great weekend ya’ll!
- 1 Tbs. Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 Cup. Vegan Mayo - I used Earth Balance
- 10 Baby Bella Mushrooms, de-stemmed and whiped clean
- 1/3 Cup Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 Cup. Pickle Jar Juice or Rice Vinegar
- 5 Dill Pickles, diced small
- 1 tsp. Celery Seed
- 1 tsp. dried Dill
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 - 4 Small Bok Choy stocks, outer leaves removed, washed, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 Cup shredded Carrot
- 1 Cup Broccoli Florets, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, sliced thin and then chopped
- 3 - 4 Tbs. Black Sesame Seeds (optional)
- Blend all the dressing ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Mix together slaw veggies. Pour on dressing and stir to coat well.
- Chill 1 hour in a sealed container. Serve with grilled veggies, tofu burgers, or top a veggie hot dog.
- Vegan Blueberry ‘Pit’ Pie – gluten-free
- Red Quinoa Beet Salad with Cucumber Blossoms and ‘Bacon’ – plus a giveaway!