The past few weeks I’ve been re-discovering all the deliciously healthy products available from Sunwarrior.
I won some of their products a few years ago on a blog and remembered being so impressed with their ingredients, integrity and flavors. Now I’ve rediscovered the deliciousness and purity of their products. I received a sample of some of their current products to try out last month and have been crazy about each one. I even ordered a bit more after running out of them last week. They really add a power punch of flavor and nutrition to my smoothies.
The Sunwarrior Activated Barley adds such a great creaminess to fruity blended drinks, I love it. This one pictured has orange juice, hemp seed, blueberry and oat milk. A dash of stevia for sweetness makes this drink taste similar to a creamsicle smoothie. I love how the Barley adds to the blend, and the nutrition of course. Without the powder it would be more of an icy texture that really doesn’t appeal to me. Much creamier with the barley blend.
For a mid day snack, Sunwarrior has a number of Immunity products that sneak into your regular drinks without a background flavor for an incredible boost in their nutritional value. I have a glass of O J with chia seeds a few times a week, normally in the afternoon and the added Sunwarrior Immune Shield was a perfect addition. I had the version below with a scoop of their vanilla classic protein powder as well which was great.
Unfortunately for me, I’ve never been able to fully embrace ‘green smoothies’
I’ve tried and tried but I’ve concluded that I’d just rather get my greens in salad, raw and cooked veggies as sides etc. Until now! I used the Sunwarrior ‘Super Greens‘ in a batch of delicious chocolate hazelnut bars and it was completely undetectable in the flavors. These bars travel well and have a similar consistency to soft fudge. The added crunch of the toasted hazelnut topping makes them just
a bit messy perfect for a Valentine’s Day treat.
The smell of roasting hazelnuts on the stove is reason enough to try this recipe. Delicious ♥ After they’ve been toasted some, wrap them up inside a clean cloth and rub, rub rub to remove the outer skin from each nut easily.
Try not to eat them all before making them into the bar topping……
Avocado makes these bars creamy like chocolate fudge. And the Green powder? Completely hidden.
- 1 cup Roasted Hazelnuts, chopped fine
- 1 Tbs. Sesame Seeds or Hemp Seeds
- 1 Tbs. Chia Seeds
- 4 oz. Dark, Vegan Chocolate
- 4 oz. Dairy Free Milk, I used Sweetened Vanilla Cashew Milk
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 cup Hemp Seeds
- 1 cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- Sunwarrior Peppermint SuperGreens - about 1 ounce
- A few drops of liquid Stevia (optional)
- 2 Tbs. Cocoa Powder
- In a fry pan over medium heat, roast the shelled, whole hazelnuts stirring them constantly for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Chop the nuts into fine pieces. Mix with sesame and chia seeds. Set aside.
- Heat the milk to just warm, about 110 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the dark chocolate ( break into small chunks) with the non-dairy milk. Stir and allow the chocolate to melt while you start the bar filling.
- In a food processor, pulse the Cocoa Powder, Super Greens, Stevia, Oats and Hemp Seeds until it looks like a rough flour (about 60 seconds) Add in the Avocado and melted Chocolate / Milk mixture. Pulse until very smooth. Chill the mixture in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- While the filling chills, line the bottom and sides of a small pan, about 7" X 5", with clear plastic wrap to prevent the bars from sticking. Pour the Hazelnut mixture into the bottom of the lined pan and press down firmly to create the topping layer. Pour the chocolate mixture onto the nut layer and smooth out the batter gently to cover the nuts. Cover the top of the bars with more plastic wrap and press down firmly on the bars to push the nuts into the chocolate layer. Freeze the bars until firm, 30 minutes or more.
- When the bars are solid, flip them out onto a cutting board so that the nut layer is on top and remove the plastic. Cut into bars into 12 squares. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week or freeze in an airtight container.
Sunwarrior provided me with product samples for review. I was not paid to do a review and all thoughts are my own.
More from my site
- Rika – Vegan Miam & the Breakfast In Bed-Fest Winning Recipe
- Savory Bok Choy & Red Pepper Waffles