In the last few months I’ve had the pleasure of trying out a new product line from Sunwarrior.
They’d like to offer you each a 1 in 20 chance to win some of their best stuff along with a swanky
Sunwarrior blender bottle. Cool!!
“Organic Certified Classic Plus builds on Sunwarrior’s original rice protein by adding in the amino acid balancing effects of peas, chia seeds, quinoa, and amaranth. This superfood combination still relies heavily on the gentle nature of whole-grain brown rice, but with a hefty dose of the strength that has made Warrior Blend so popular.
Raw, plant-based, and powerful, Classic Plus gives you that little extra you want and need. You’ll love the way it tastes, but how it makes you feel is really why we call it Plus. “
I’ve used both the Vanilla and Chocolate flavors now in 10 – 12 different flavors of smoothies and I really love the taste. It blends smoothly, has great sweetness without a lot of sugar and really makes a great start to my day, my workout and even my desserts as you’ll see here. The vanilla has been my favorite but who doesn’t need a good chocolate shake now and again?
So what’s in this new line? Why is it so special among protein powders out there?
Brown rice provides plenty of protein and fiber while being gentle on the digestive system and kind to those with allergies. This whole-grain superfood is raw, sprouted, and ready to take your workouts to new levels with all the amino acids a growing muscle needs.
- Complete and balanced protein for muscle, building, repair, and maintenance*
- Rich in Lysine, often missing in plant-based proteins*
- Hypoallergenic (free of major allergens)*
- Protein rich foods create a thermic effect to burn more calories*
Raw Pea Protein:
A high fiber, low calorie, nutrient dense vegetarian superfood, peas are also a remarkable source of plant-based proteins and amino acids. Protein from peas satisfies all FAO essential amino acid requirements. The amino acids found in peas include Lysine, Arginine, Glutamine, Leucine, Isoleucine & Valine (Branched Chain Amino Acids – BCAAs)
- Aid in muscle tissue maintenance*
- Comparable to egg and milk proteins*
- BCAAs are higher in pea protein than any other vegetable protein*
- Helps restore nitrogen balance after intense physiological stress*
- Increases muscle mass while reducing body fat during intense exercise*
- Assists in maintaining lean body mass*
- Facilitates calcium absorption (promoting healthy bone development)*
- Low in sulfur proteins (sulfur proteins speed up the aging process)*
- Increases metabolism and satiety (helping you to feel full longer)*
Chocolate Sunwarrior Classic Plus, frozen banana, dates, almond milk and a dollop or two of
Gena’s ‘Raw Salted Caramel’ from Choosing Raw on top shown here. It was more like a dessert smoothie I’d say.
Then two of my favorite ingredients ever…
Highly valued by the Incan civilization for good reason, quinoa is rich in protein, fiber, calcium, B vitamins, and many other nutrients. This grain-like seed helps balance out the amino acid profile without worry over gluten.
- Contains beneficial saponins that stimulate immune function and act as antioxidants*
- Rich in magnesium, manganese, iron, copper, and other trace minerals*
- A prebiotic food that helps sustain beneficial microflora and fauna*
Chia seeds are the tiny nutrient-dense powerhouses that the Aztecs used to feed their people, armies, hunting parties, and runners. We’ve rediscovered their power and thankfully don’t have to invent a time machine or brave the ancient jungle to take advantage of all these little seeds have to offer.
- Rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids*
- Contain both soluble and insoluble fiber for prebiotic effects*
- Absorb water for improved hydration*
- Rich in antioxidants*
Classic Plus Cheesecake? You bet!
Amaranth is another ancient world staple. It was used as a grain by the Aztecs who even included it in religious rites. It has a similar nutrient profile to quinoa and the same yield as rice, making it a sustainable alternative to other grains and seeds.
- Rich in protein, phytosterols, antioxidants, and natural anti-inflammatories*
- Contains a good amount of Lysine (an amino acid often lacking in plant-foods)*
Sounds good huh? Classic Plus is Sunwarrior’s first new protein product in 3 years and their first certified USDA organic protein which is very nice of course. They challenged everyone to see what we could make with this new line and of course, I thought of dessert again. Brandi’s Raw Vegan Coconut Cinnamon New York Style Cheesecake has been on my ‘to try’ list for a while now. Well, since last year when she posted the recipe on The Vegan 8. So I really was anxious to see how the vanilla protein powder would blend with her recipe ingredients and add to the cake’s nutrition. You’ve got to love Vegan food. Only Vegans could talk about healthy cheesecake right?
Okay I did manage to drizzle some Raw dark chocolate over her scrumpteous cheesecake. Not that it needed it. But who doesn’t love chocolate and coconut? My husband doesn’t but that’s another day’s discussion.
You can find Brandi’s fabulous recipe for this luscious cake right here. I used an Apple Pie spice from Penzeys Spices in place of the cinnamon in mine which gives the batter a nutmeg/clove thing I thought worked really well with the chocolate. You know that part of an apple pie where the crust blends in with the thick, apple sauce? That’s what this cheesecake tastes like. Yes, it’s heavenly with Brandi’s coconut butter base.
And I used 2 ounces of the Sunwarrior Classic Plus Vanilla protein powder in the batter.
So Sunwarrior has a fabulous way for many of you to win a nice blender cup along with some great samples of their products. Click here before May 31st to enter to win.
I really enjoyed this new line and appreciate being able to share some thoughts and recipes with you about Classic Plus. I’d recommend it to anyone now and it’s time for me to order some more myself now!!
Thanks Sunwarrior. It’s wonderful to see a company get so health conscious and cruelty free in their products.
More from my site
- Zesty, Dairy & Oil-free Creamy Cucumber Dill Dressing
- ‘Lavender Gin Strawberry Shortcake’ from Kathy @HealthySlowCooking.com – May’s “Family Favorite Dessert” entry