Why all the hype about Spirulina? Here’s a refresher for you:
A cyanobacterium (blue-green algae) consumed for thousands of years for its nutritional properties
One of the most potent nutrient sources available
Benefits include: Strengthens immune system, improves eye health, improves digestive system, lowers cholesterol, and helps detox the body
Spiral Spring’s Maxima Powders and Tablets are Gluten-Free, Certified Kosher, USDA Organic, non-GMO.
As far as green powders go, and I’m getting to be an expert at their quality and values these days, Spiral Springs is the best I’ve had the opportunity to try yet. I wish I could send each of you a sample to try this stuff out.
It’s powerful stuff, maybe the healthiest thing you could do for your health.
SPIRULINA HAS NO CHOLESTEROL
1.26 times more calcium than cheese.4.15 times more calcium than soy.
8.4 times more calcium than fresh milk.
22 times more iron than beef liver.
32 times more iron than black beans.
34 times more iron than spinach.
83 times more iron than beef.
1.6 times more beta-carotene than beef liver.
15.2 times more beta-carotene than peaches.
21 times more beta-carotene than carrots.
76 times more beta-carotene than cheese.
VITAMIN B1 (THIAMIN)
3.9 times more Vitamin B1 than pork.
13.4 times more Vitamin B1 than beef liver..
VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN)
1.4 times more Vitamin B2 than beef liver.
3.3 times more Vitamin B2 than whole dried milk.
10.2 times more Vitamin B2 than mushrooms.
21 times more Vitamin B2 than beef fillet.
VITAMIN B3 (NIACIN)
1.2 times more Vitamin B3 than tuna fish in oil.
1.5 times more Vitamin B3 than chicken breast with skin.
2.5 times more Vitamin B3 than beef fillet.
140 times more Vitamin B3 than eggs.
LA VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE)
1.3 times more Vitamin B6 than bananas.
3 times more Vitamin B6 than potatoes.
3.4 times more Vitamin B6 than beef fillet.
5.7 times more Vitamin B6 than watermelon.
VITAMIN B12 (CYANOCOBALAMINE)
3.2 times more Vitamin B12 than eggs.
7.8 times more Vitamin B12 than whole dried milk.
1.65 times more protein than soy, and none of them have cholesterol.
2.47 times more protein than powdered whole milk, however milk does have cholesterol.
2.70 times more protein than beef, however beef does have cholesterol.
2.99 times more protein than beans, and both are cholesterol free.
3.25 times more than liver, which has very high cholesterol content.
I’ve been tinkering around this month with Spiral Springs products and have found my energy levels increased, particularly in the mornings when I need the most stamina for my job. It’s fairly easy to hide in your soups and sandwiches; Smoothies of course are the best way to hide a ton of greens with just a scoop of powder added in.
Spiral Springs also offers a tablet form of their Spirulina and one lucky reader will have their choice of either the powdered or tablet to try for free.
As I’ve mentioned, you can find plenty of ways to hide this beautiful green powder in all sorts of foods for a powerful boost to your family’s nutrition.
Today I’m sharing a delectably un-healthy tasting, chocolate bar with a fresh cranberry jam filling. I shared the quick & easy Christmas Cranberry Jam that I used here a few months ago and you can find that here. Any store-bought jam will do. I just know how easy it is to cook up a fresh batch of jam, whichever fruits you may have around.
The tangy cranberry flavor just pops with the sweet Cocao Coconut Butter tastes. If for no other health reasons, you must try these bars just to experience each lovely bite. They will keep in the freezer….but not for long the way these babies taste!
- 8 ounces Raw Chocolate Coconut Butter (like Artisana brand)
- 1/2 cup Spirulina Green Powder ( I used Spiral Spring brand Choco-Spring )
- 1/2 cup organic carob or cocoa powder ( I used carob )
- 1 cup roughly ground fresh oat flour
- 4 tbs sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla stevia liquid
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 cup nut milk ( I used almond)
- 1 cup fresh fruit jam ( I used cranberry ) mixed with 2 tbs coconut oil and 1/2 tsp vanilla stevia liquid
- 1 tbs. coconut oil for greasing pan (optional)
- coarse sea salt for a light, salted sprinkle
- Grease a 8 X 5 shallow pan or equivalent.
- Blend together the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Blend the wet ingredients and then stir them into the dry creating a sticky thick batter.
- Add about 1/2 of the batter to the pan and push flat to cover the bottom of your pan. Freeze the pan while you prepare your jam and cacao topping.
- Warm your jam slightly to make it easier to spread. When your first layer of batter has hardened, pour on your jam and spread it onto the batter to make a thin fruity layer. Freeze again for 2 hours.
- When the jam layer is hardened, spread on the second half of the batter to top the jam layer. Freeze.
- While the layers freeze, melt your Coconut Butter in a bowl of water, stirring frequently to make it smooth.
- Pour the Chocolate Coconut Butter on top of the frozen layers and spread to create a smooth topping. Sprinkle with a bit of coarse sea salt. Cover and freeze until serving.
- Makes about 20 bite size squares.
These bite size snacks are the best in taste to be sure. But their nutritional value is what really makes them rock!
Research has shown that children who received a Spirulina supplement daily five days a week for two months had better nutritional status and improved intellectual status compared to those who did not.
Even beyond nutrition, Spirulina offers multiple advantages to the environment and those who cultivate it. For instance, producing Spirulina requires 10 times less water than other vegetables, and harvests occur year-round. And according to Antenna India, compared to soy, Spirulina has a 20-fold greater harvest of protein per acre.
In my opinion, the products that Spiral Springs has to offer are among the highest quality available and I’d love for you to have the opportunity to try them.
Spiral Springs is offering 1 of my lucky readers a choice to try either their
their easy to carry Spiral Springs Maxima Tablets for free!!
You’ll love either one I’m sure and I appreciate their generosity in offering this gift to the Canned Time gang.
Enter to win below if you live in the U. S. Contest ends March 13th.
Leave as many comments as you’d like during the contest for extra entries.
1 winner will be chosen at random and notified via email.
Enter to win by leaving a comment on this post and let everyone know what your favorite healthy snacks are today.
More from my site
- Sweet Corn Chowder from Emily Von Euw’s “The Rawsome Vegan Cookbook”
- Black-eyed Pea Habanero Mango Salsa + Our Family Favorites Winner!