This is my first attempt at a homemade non-dairy cheeze recipe. I think it turned out well and is fancy enough for party fair and easy enough to serve friends and family 😉
My inspiration for this Spicy Cheeze was from Carmella at The Sunny Raw Kitchen.
If you’d like a step by step recipe for this cheeze recipe, be sure to check out
I followed Carmella’s recipe except I used Cashews instead of Almonds and then added in 1 Tbs. of fresh cracked Black Pepper and some finely chopped spicy red peppers before pouring the cheeze mixture into set.
After the cheeze set up. I un-molded the cheeze and pressed chopped Pepita Seeds onto the outside for an added flavor.
The basics recipe ingredients are here. Be sure to check out Carmella’s video for instructions.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agar powder (or 5 tablespoons agar flakes)
- 1/2 cup almonds, soaked for 8 – 12 hrs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves (or 2 or 3 teaspoons dried)
- Prepare Agar flakes to the gel stage and set aside.
- Blend all ingredients in a blender and then stir in the agar flakes.
- Pour mixture into a plastic mold and refrigerate to firm.
- In about 30 minutes your cheeze will be ready to unmold and serve.
I was really impressed with this easy recipe. If you watch Carmella’s step by step video, have all your ingredients ready, and then firm up your cheeze in the fridge for about an hour……….you’ll have your cheeze ready to serve!
The cost was around $5 and it made 16 oz. of cheese. I can see this basic recipe used for a variety of flavors as well. If you don’t like spicy, try a mild basil, fresh dill or your favorite herbs in the recipe. It really is a quick healthy cheese that goes well with fruits, crackers or warm it up on some toast. My next try, I’ll go for a Mexican spiced loaf and use it for grilled cheeze…yum!
More from my site
- Pear & Broccoli Sprout Salad with Balsamic Caramelized Sweet Potato Cubes
- Frozen Fruit Smoothie Breakfast Bar