I found this wonderfully fresh grain & fruit salad on
I made a few changes to Vegan it up and added some cooked Quinoa to the Barley. I also sprouted the Pearl Barley for a few days to add to the nutrition. Chef Brad has a vast amount of information on his show about cooking with seeds and grains to add taste and vitamins to our foods. This salad was very quick inexpensive. It makes a nice filling side dish and is a great change from just a lettuce salad for your meal.
The crisp sweet apple and dates mix well with the vinegar and mustard tones in the dressing. While the Quinoa & Barley don’t add much flavor, they do give the salad a nice creamy texture and of course build the nutrition substantially.
For the salad’s dressing, simply mix up equal portions (1/2 Cup) of Agave Nector and Olive Oil, add 1/2 tsp. of Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper and 4 – 5 Tbs. of Brown Mustard. Stir and then add in 1/4 Cup of Red Wine Vinegar. Blend and mix in with the salad.
More from my site
Quinoa & Barley Apple Salad
By February 15, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 - 5 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
Original recipe posted at chefbrad.com "Sweet Apple and Cheese Barley Salad"
- 2 whole fresh Granny Smith or Red Apples Cut in cubes
- 1/4 Cup Dates Cut into small pieces
- 2 Cups Cooked Pearl Barley Simmer for 30 minutes & chill
- 2 Cups Quinoa Simmer 15 minutes and chill
- 1/2 Cup Raw Walnuts chopped into small pieces
- Combine all ingredients and stir in vinaigrette. Cover and chill until serving. Will keep several days in the refrigerator.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
- ♥ Happy Valentine’s Day ♥
- Tempeh Sweet & Sour Soup