I’m on my own here for a few days and it’s just turned cold and rainy here in D. C. for the first time in months so…
I made this pot of soup after cooking up some lentils for my salads next week. I already had some baked spicy Chickpeas for snacking along with some cooked quinoa so those got thrown into the pot as well. Throw in what ever your favorites are but keep the spices and the lentils in for this scrumptious cold weather supper.
- 2 cups Lentils, cooked
- 1 cup Quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup Carrots, cubed
- 1 cup Celery, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- (2) 15 oz. Enchilada Sauce, or equivalent
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 - 2 Tbs. Chili Powder
- 1 Tbs. Cumin
- 1/2 Tbs. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Liquid Smoke
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 5 - 6 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbs. Tamari Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tbs. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tbs. Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp. Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- Make your spiced Chickpeas by combining Chickpeas, Tamari, Red Pepper, Maple Syrup and Liquid Smoke together in a bowl. Preheat your oven to 400. Spread the Chickpea mix onto a non-stick pan and bake them for 20 minutes. Stir the chickpeas to brown them evenly and bake another 30 minutes at 375, checking frequently and stirring as necessary. Set them aside while you make your soup, trying not to eat all of them prior to the soup being ready....
- Make your soup by adding Enchilada Sauce, Onion, Red Pepper, Carrot and Celery to a large stock pot and bring to a strong boil. Cook, stirring occasionally until your vegetables begin to soften.
- Reduce heat slightly and add in all other ingredients (except for the chickpea) and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are fully cooked.
- Serve with crunchy spiced Chickpeas as garnish or just stir them into your pot before serving.
- Serves 6 - 8
More from my site
- From Dianne’s Vegan Kitchen – Dianne’s “Chocolate Cream Pie” – Family Favorite Desserts entry for September
- ‘The Rawsome Vegan Cookbook’ Giveaway, Emily’s Almond Cookies and a fabulous bonus from Gena Hamshaw @Choosing Raw