My Flax Flour experiments continue. Last week I successfully created a flavor packed cocoa-peanut butter cupcake This time I combined golden ground flax seeds with almond flour and tangy mandarin orange for a delicate and cake-like cookie.
They’re as healthy as a cookie can be.
Check out the health benefits in these little golden flax seed jewels HERE.
A zesty little cookie!
- 2 - 3 Mandarin Oranges
- 3 Tbs. Organic Coconut Oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbs. organic apple sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Almond flour ( I used Bob's Red Mill fine milled)
- 1 1/2 cups Golden Flax Seed ground (measure after grinding)
- 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Organic Sugar ( I used Torbinado)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarter (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- sugar and a few almonds for cookie tops
- With a sharp knife, peel the outer skin only, try to avoid the white pith of the skin, of one orange. Dice the zest into small squares, see picture
- Juice the remaining orange to equal 1/2 cup of juice. Combine orange juice, apple sauce, coconut oil, vanilla, and orange zest in a small bowl and let sit for at least 10 minutes to soften the orange zest peel.
- Mix together all dry ingredients (except for almond slices) in a medium size bowl. Pour the juice / wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine into a sticky dough. Chill the dough for 30 minutes prior to baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spoon out 'golf ball' sized dough pieces onto a baking pan. Using the bottom of a glass or damp fingers, flatten the tops of each cookie to 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle each one with a pinch of sugar and add a few sliced almonds for garnish.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until the outer edges are just barely starting to brown. The cookies will be delicate when first baked and will soften and firm up when cooled. Store in a sealed container for up to 1 week. You can also freeze the dough in a tube to slice off cookies for easy baking anytime.
- For Raw options, use raw almond flour / flax, raw sugar are almond slices. Dehydrate formed cookies at 145 for 30 minutes and then reduce temperature to below 110 degrees until cookies are firm.
- Also, dried fruit or other nuts would be great in these. They hold together well and the mild almond / vanilla flavors would be wonderful with other add in's like chocolate chips or a splash of Amaretto or almond extract.
I told myself I was fighting off cold and flu germs by eating these cookies. Not really. They’re just yummy ♥
More from my site
- ‘Breakfast In Bed-Fest’ entry #2 from Julie @Julieslifestyle.com “Berry Breakfast Parfait with Vanilla Cashew ‘Yoghurt’
- 5 Favorite Vegan Fruity Dessert Recipes