I love lemon cake. I love chocolate cake. I love blueberry pie.
I love this cake too now.
Lemon Sour Cream Cake with Cacao Nibs and Wild Blueberries
A delicious gluten free fresh berry cake that will impress the guests and the taste buds. The mild lemon cake and sour berries and dairy free sour cream make for a tasty blend of traditional tastes without the dairy and gluten and guilt.
- I made this cake in an 8 inch spring form pan but I'm sure it would work fine as a sheet cake. You will need to adjust the bake times though.
- 1 cup Gluten-free Oats
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Almond Milk (I used Vanilla)
- 1 tsp Yeast
- 3 Tbs. Maple Syrup
- 3 Flax Eggs (3 Tbs. Ground Flax seed mixed with 6 Tbs. Water)
- 12 oz. Silken Tofu blended with juice of 2 lemons (I used Meyer Lemons)
- 1 tsp Lemon Liquid Stevia or plain stevia mixed with 1 Tbs. Lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup Buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup Corn Meal ( I used self rising)
- 1 Tbs. Baking Soda
- 1 cup of Cocoa powder mixed with 2 Tbs. Cacao Nibs
- 1 cup Wild Blueberries or other fruit ( I used thawed Wild Blueberries from Trader Joe's)
- Pulse together the crust ingredients in a food processor until the dough becomes sticky. Press down the dough onto the bottom of a medium size spring form pan. Chill while you make the cake batter.
- Mix together your water and flax, set aside.
- Warm the almond milk to 110 degrees. Add in the maple syrup, stevia and yeast. Set aside to allow the yeast to grow and foam up.
- Blend together the Buckwheat flour, corn meal, baking soda and salt.
- In a food processor, blend the tofu and flax egg. After your yeast is foamy, blend that mixture in with the tofu until smooth.
- Add in the dry ingredient mixture with the wet a little at a time, pulsing but not over blending.
- Pour the batter on top of the crust.
- Bake at 375 for 30 or until your cake internal temperature is about 160 degrees. This is easy to check with a meat thermometer.
- When the cake is completely cooled, top with the cocoa mixture and berries. Remove from the spring form pan after chilling the cake to help firm the top.
- Meyer Lemons have a sweeter mildly sour flavor more like an orange. If you use regular lemons in the cake, you may want to increase the sweetener slightly.
- This cake is moist and slightly fragile. It will crumble when cut if you don't let it cool completely. I kept mine in the refrigerator as well. Add any berries you'd like. The wild blueberries are very mildly sweet and you may want to try something more sour for your topping.
Happy Easter everyone ♥
More from my site
- Straight from the Vegan Easter Bunny – Raw Cacao Nib Truffles
- Yet Another Tomato Soup…. & Crispy Veggie Jerky