This Giveaway is now closed.
Well, well well. Kathy Hester has really done it this time.
Today, Kathy presents us with her ode to Oatmeal.
OATrageous Oatmeals: Delicious & Surprising Plant-Based Dishes From This Humble, Heart-Healthy Grain
” Just the word “oatmeal” can evoke strong memories. It takes me back to a childhood bowl of apple-cinnamon instant
oats. Warming and soothing, it fortified me enough to go out into the cold to school.
But oats can be so much more if you just explore and experiment a little bit. In this book, I will show you that you can
make a meal out of oats any time of the day or night. You’ll be amazed by oat recipes that go way beyond adding hot
water to a brown packet of instant oats.” – Kathy Hester
One of many favorite recipes, I have many as you’ll see in this post from July, is Kathy’s ‘Coconut Oat Vanilla Nut Creamer’
I’ve been using it mostly in the mornings with a tasty new granola mix with buckwheat groats, chia seeds, dried fruit. I warm the Coconut Oat Creamer slightly and pour it onto my granola. It mixes with the sweet fruit and sugars in the cereal and makes the most delectable warm syrup for the crunchy bits to swim in. Really fantastic.
Of course this Coconut Oat Creamer is fabulously delicious for mixing in with your hot drinks. Cocoa, Lattés etc.
I went a step further and created the most delectable chocolate ganash for an Oreo® Key Lime Cheesecake. The creamer added that extra special depth to the chocolate and made it easy to work with, really smooth and ridiculously delicious.
For the Key Lime Cheesecake, I used my Key Lime Raspberry Cheesecake recipe, without the berries.
I used Kathy’s ‘Coconut Oat Vanilla Nut Creamer’ mixed with dark chocolate and coconut oil for the ganash. The Oreo® crust is simply crushed cookies and some coconut oil to bind them.
Just like all of Kathy’s books, OATrageous Oatmeals is a true treasure for your kitchen. Things you’d never dream of being able to add in some oats with are not only delicious but the flavors and textures Kathy has mixed in just love Oats. They love the smooth texture that oats give, the nutrition of course, but oats have a natural thickening quality that Kathy just really has mastered.
The book gives you a full range of ways to incorporate oats into so many different meals, savory and sweet. Then Kathy extends their qualities into fabulous recipe ideas like Vegan Sausage, Pet treats, Soups & Stews, Burgers, Cream Cheese, Breakfasts ideas of course….then Kathy has a whole section on Oat drinks. You really can’t believe all that she has come up with until you see this fabulous collection of healthy, fun and delicious recipes for yourself.
She’s allowing me to share a sneak peek into the book with her Coconut Oat Vanilla Nut Creamer recipe.
- gluten-free, soy-free, oil-free
- Makes 1 cup (237 ml)
- 1/4 cup (24 g) rolled oats
- 1/4 cup (24 g) finely shredded coconut
- 1 cup (237 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) agave nectar (or sweetener of choice, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, to taste
- Break the oats and coconut into tiny pieces with your blender. Add the water and let soak for
- 10 minutes.
- Blend again for about 3 minutes or until smooth, then run the creamer through a fine mesh
- strainer over a small bowl to strain out the oat pieces.
- Put the liquid, sweetener and extracts back in the blender and blend until the sweetener is incorporated and dissolved.
- Per 1/4 cup (60 ml) serving with no pulp removed: Calories 83.8, protein 1.1 g, total fat 5.4 g,
- carbohydrates 9.4 g, sodium 2.5 mg, fiber 1.5 g
- From OATrageous Oatmeals by Kathy Hester printed with permission of Page Street Publishing
To win a copy of Kathy Hester’s OATrageous Oatmeals enter below.
Contest ends October 24th. U. S. and Canadian Residents only please.
More from my site
- Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck #16
- Vegan Life & ‘Warm You Up’ – Chia Buckwheat Granola Cereal