Kathy has some other surprises for everyone who pre-orders including an OATragous newsletter with not-in-the-book oat recipes and special coupons.
Yes, I’ve been having lots of fun testing out some of Kathy’s recipe ideas from the book too!
Kathy’s Steel-Cut Oat Sausage Crumbles will take you to a new world of meat substitutes. She’s been kind enough to share the recipe below for them with you as a sneak preview for you as well:
Steel Cut Sausage Crumbles Photo credit – Kate Lewis ‘OATrageous Oatmeals’
- 1 cup (237ml) water
- 1/2 cup (40g) steel-cut oats
- 2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1/4 to 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon regular
- Preheat oven to 350 and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan add the water and oats, bring to a boil then turn the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes covered. Mix all the other ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Cook uncovered for 5 minutes while stirring to help get some of the moisture out. Remove from heat and add in the spice mixture and mix well.
- Spoon the oat mixture onto the parchment paper and try to distribute it as close to evenly as possible. Then tear a second piece of parchment paper and put on top an flatten the mixture as much as possible.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then pull out and cut lines into the sausage with a spatula. You aren’t trying to move it, just to make more places for steam to escape.
- Bake for 5 more minutes. This time scrape and break up the sausage into crumbles with the spatula.
- Bake 5 more minutes and it should be easy to crumble. You can sprinkle on pizza and you can even freeze the leftovers for another time!
- makes about 2 to 3 cups
- gluten-free, soy-free, oil-free
- Per ¼ cup serving: Calories 42.5, protein 1.8 g, total fat 0.8 g, carbohydrates 7.3 g, sodium
- 145.3 mg, fiber 1.3 g
OATrageous Oatmeals is just what you’d expect from Kathy Hester. Fun. Useful. Delicious.
You’ll just be amazed at how many ways she’s figured out to add a healthy dose of OATS into your life in this book.
To enter to win a copy of Kathy Hester’s
plus – some cool goodies from OXO – enter below. 1 winner over all the blogs will be selected to win it all.
Contest ends August 4th. U. S. and Canada residents only please.
- Wild Raspberry Jam
- Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck Week 5