Closing out the end of Vegan MoFo with a bang folks:
Have you had that evening yearning for just a touch of sweet but would never dream of dragging out everything you would need to make a couple dozen cookies up hot and fresh? Kathy Hester has a solution that will rock your dessert world…as well as your meal plans.
Seriously. Is this cookie big enough or what?
The recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies in ‘Vegan Slow Cooking For Two – or – Just For You’ has directions for one big beautiful (shareable) cookie. I mixed up a quadruple batch of batter then separated half into a long tube, wrapped it and stuck it in the freezer for another night’s cravings. All I have to do is heat up the slow cooker and slice off a couple of inches of batter from the freezer some night and I’m set in about an hour.
Okay, maybe I over did it a
too much little with the ‘extras’ for these cookies but they are chocked full of goodness. Big dark chocolate chips, pecans, cranberries…… I also sprinkled each one with some coarse sea salt that cuts through the dark rich chocolate chips perfectly.
This one accidentally broke so I had to eat it without sharing though. My Mom always told us we could eat the ugly ones when we were baking cookies. Our cookies were not so ginormous as this one back then though…..
DARN….they keep breaking!!
- FOR THE DRY INGREDIENTS
- ½ cup (60 g) whole-wheat pastry flour (*use gluten-free baking mix)
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- FOR THE WET INGREDIENTS:
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 2 teaspoons (10 ml) warm water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (**substitute applesauce or pumpkin purée)
- ¼ teaspoon extract (vanilla, orange, lemon, mint, lavender, etc.)
- ¼ cup (44 g) vegan chocolate
- chips or
- ¼ cup (44 g) vegan chocolate chips and ¼ cup (30 g) chopped nuts or
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped nuts
- Spray the crock with oil or **line with parchment paper to make the recipe oil-free.
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Then add the wet to the dry and mix until combined. Add in the extras of your choice.
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and spread evenly on the bottom. Put a clean dish towel or paper towel between the lid and slow cooker to absorb the condensation.
- Cook on high for 45 to 60 minutes or until the middle springs back when touched.
- YIELD: 2 servings
- PER SERVING (USING ¼ CUP [44 G] CHOCOLATE CHIPS AND ¼ CUP [30 G]NUTS): 470.4 calories; 29.3 g total fat; 3.8 g saturated fat; 5.5 g protein; 49.5 g carbohydrate; 8.5 g dietary fiber; 0 mg cholesterol
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOKING TIME: 45 to 60 minutes
- RECIPE VARIATION
- Try one of these combinations:
- • Vanilla extract, walnuts, and vegan chocolate chips
- • Lemon extract and almonds with or without vegan chocolate chips
- • Mint extract and vegan chocolate chips
- • Lavender extract and vegan chocolate chips
So many ways to make these cookies work for you. Whether you use Gluten Flour like I did, or Whole Wheat? The extras are endless.
In addition to slow cooking up a batch of these cookies this week, I also slow cooked a pot of Kathy’s White Bean & Barley Soup.
I’ll share more details on this delicious hearty soup coming up on Canned Time. I also mixed up a batch of Kathy’s Wacky Cincinnati Chili…fabulous for cold weather dinners. Not to mention all the ingredients are easy to purchase and keep on hand for quick, easy meals in a flash. Slow cookers rock ♥
So many recipes I have marked to make from this book. Tomatillo and White Bean Chili is up next for me. Then Lentil Quinoa Tacos,
and of course, Wake Up To Bananas Foster For Breakfast…..Yes! All cooked up in my little slow cooker. Amazing 😉
Her website, www.HealthySlowCooking.com will keep you up to date on all her projects and news for her cookbooks as well.
So now that you know more about Kathy’s wonderful new book, you’d probably like to have a copy for yourself. Right?
Well, you may be the lucky one to receive a copy for free by entering to win
Contest is for USA and Canada residents only. Giveaway ends at midnight on September 30, 2013
Good luck everyone!
I was provided with a copy of ‘Vegan Slow Cooking For Two or Just For You” for review although I was under no obligation to do so.
More from my site
- Vegan Shoo Fly Cake with Pomegranates
- Vegan MoFo 2013 Recap