Today, just in time for the July 4th celebrations I have some Cool Summer fresh healthy treats for you!
Having grown up in the Washington D. C. Metro area, I’ve seen my fair share of July 4th festivities. My family would drive down to The Mall, early in the afternoon so we could get a spot on the grass near the Washington Monument with a good view of the fireworks and music most years. Some years, were better than others as I remember. Some years, the weather would be unbearably hot and humid. In the late 60’s, there were Hippies, Police scuffles and things were a little less family friendly…. But they all had that swelling of patriotism, family groups from all Nationalities, hot summer sun and plenty of food and drinks.
Now that I’m still in D. C. but have a little less tolerance for heat and crowds, I prefer to enjoy just as much food and fun but most likely it’s from right in our own back yard. The music is traditional, the food… a lot more healthy, and the drinks are now less sugary and fresh from the farmer’s market.
“July 4th Cherry-Ice Watermelon Mocktails”
1) In a blender, purée chunks of 1/2 of a ripe watermelon. 2) Strain puréed pulp, reserving only the juice. 3) Chill.
For ice, I froze a few organic cherries and dropped those in my drinks for extra flavor and fun.
If you’d like to fancy this deliciously fresh juice up for a party, dip each glass in some ALOHA Superfood melted chocolate then sprinkle the tops of each glass with some Sea Salt for a touch of taste contrast for your drinks. The chocolate will add a bit of sweet and the salt just picks up the mild sweet of the melon. Be sure to use a very ripe melon to maximize the flavors in this. So many stores keep their watermelons in chilly conditions and they never develop the super sweet flavors natural to a melon ripened outdoors. I keep mine for a week or more in a warm, sunny spot after I purchase them to create those natural sugars inside before cutting them open. Or buy from your local Farmer’s Market where the melons are most likely picked fresh and kept outdoors.
“No-Bake Salted Chocolate Cherry Doughnuts”
These jules are so full of good-for-you ingredients, I can’t believe how good they taste. Sprouts? Protein Powders? You’d NEVER, ever think these bite size beauties were so nutritious. They taste perfect along side a tall glass of chilled watermelon juice and cherries.
- 2 ounces of Chocolate Protein Powder ( I used ALOHA brand)
- 2 Tbs. Cocao or Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp. Ginger
- 15 Medjool Dates, pitted if necessary
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 cup Hemp Seeds
- 3 Tbs. Chia Seeds
- 1/4 cup softened Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Micro Sprouts (optional but recommended)
- 8 - 10 pitted Organic Cherries, diced
- About 1/4 cup Melted Vegan Chocolate for topping - I used ALOHA brand
- Course Sea Salt for topping
- In a small bowl, combine Protein Powder, Cocao and Ginger. Stir to mix.
- In a food processor, pulse to blend all other ingredients EXCEPT for the cherries, melted chocolate and salt. Pulse to form a wet, sticky dough. Add in the chopped cherries and pulse just a few times to mix them into the dough without chopping them too much.
- Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Press chilled dough into a mini-doughnut mold pan to fill 10 - 12 doughnuts. Chill again overnight until dough is frozen.
- With the edge of a large spoon, carefully remove each doughnut from their molds. You'll need to re-shape them some but the dough is pliable enough to keep them shaped and smooth.
- Drizzle tops with melted chocolate and sprinkle each one with a pinch of salt if desired.
- Keep doughnuts frozen until serving.
ALOHA has more ideas for healthy eating this summer as well.
Happy Independence Day!!
Peruvian Fair-Trade Raw Cacao Nibs/Beans, Balinese Coconut Sugar*, Ecuadorian Raw Cacao Butter*, Daily Good Greens Chocolate**, Philippine Raw Coconut Flakes*, Vietnamese Raw Cashews[SS1] *, Tahitian Vanilla Bean).
**Daily Good Greens Chocolate Blend: Fair-Trade Cacao*, Coconut Sugar*, Coconut Water*, Peas*, Maple Sugar*, Spinach*, Wheatgrass Juice*, Moringa, Wild Blueberries*, Raspberries*, Sunflower Lecithin*, Xanthan Gum, Spirulina*, Beet Juice*, Vanilla Bean[SS2] *, White Button Mushrooms*, Himalayan Pink Salt, Monk Fruit Extract.
More from my site
- Sunflower Sprout Pasta with Spiced Up Marinara – Raw Options
- Peanut Butter Chopped Cherry Ice Cream