I live in Washington D.C. and one thing we celebrate in grand fashion each year is Independence Day on July 4th.
Although I rarely go down to the Mall for the biggest fireworks show anymore, crowds are not my favorite thing since 9-11, I do like to celebrate with family and some good foods.
This time of year that usually includes some summer fresh fruit or veggies.
And Bing Cherries are absolutely in my top 10 Summer snacks. Who knew they were also pretty healthy for you?
I can remember each summer growing up, my Mom bringing home the huge bag of cherries and we’d grab a handful, go outside and start gobbling them up and spitting out the pits over the deck.
The bag never lasted very long ;(
My fancier version here includes two more favorite foods: Dark Chocolate and some shredded Coconut flakes. I also experimented with a Vegan Marshmallow spread I found that is super easy to use and tastes great with the Coconut and the sour of the Bing Cherries.
The Vegan Marshmallow Creme from Suzanne’s that I used here made the cherries taste a lot like a fruit filled cake. Not overly sweet but the texture mixes with the coconut flakes in your mouth, creamy and chewy. Then you get a bite of the sour cherry.
Really a great combo.
Of course the dark chocolate cherries are just divine. Enough said.
Bing Cherry Heaven ♥
- Fresh Bing Cherries, washed and dried
- 1 Cup Non Dairy Dark Chocolate, melted for dipping
- ½ Cup Vegan Marshmallow spread, warmed for 10 seconds in the microwave
- ½ Cup Shredded Coconut
- For the Chocolate Dippped:
- Chill fresh Bing Cherries in the fridge to help adhere the chocolate after dipping.
- Dip Cherries in melted chocolate and place on a non stick surface to harden chocolate. Refrigerate cherries to speed up hardening.
- For the Coconut-Marshmallow Cherries:
- Dip Bing Cherries one by one into softened marshmallow and sit on non stick surface or glass plate. Put the cherries into the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up the marshmallow.
- Roll each marshmallow covered cherry in a bowl filled with the shredded coconut. Press coconut flakes into the marshmallow lightly with your fingers to make it stick to the cherries. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Have a safe and healthy Independence Day! Enjoy.
Thanks for all the Giveaway entries for Kathy Hester’s ‘The Great Vegan Bean Book’ Contest runs through Monday July 1st.
Enter each day for more chances to win: a Rafflecopter giveaway
More from my site
- Ginger Red Bean Popsicles – plus a Giveaway!
- June 29th – Vegan Pizza Day!!