My ‘Breakfast In Bed-Festival’ this year is really just a sneaky way of sharing my favorite Vegan bloggers best breakfast recipes with you all and having a bit of competitive fun all the while. As I have said
too many lots of times before, I leave out for work in the pre-pre-dawn hours, more like the middle of the night for some, I’m sure. I don’t get the luxury very often to enjoy a wonderfully fresh home made breakfast to enjoy in the comfort of my home. So I’m hosting a little monthly highlight this year of the best of the best in healthy breakfast ideas for days when I am able to spend more time enjoying breakfast. I’ve asked 12 of the most creative, health conscious and economically minded bloggers to each share 1 breakfast that highlights both their own website and their own ingenuity for eating healthily, kindly and creatively. At year’s end, we’ll have a little vote on which month’s posting you all enjoyed the most and congratulate the winner with a few kind words and some prizes. There’s a Pinterest board you can follow to see how the event unfolds each month with all the recipes and news about my Breakfast In Bed-Fest and it’s participants.
Hello Canned Time readers, it’s a pleasure to meet you all! I’m Gabby and I blog over at the veggie nook. I focus on whole food, plant-based recipes to show how fun and tasty a plant-based diet can be! I am also a Certified Nutritional Practitioner so I basically live and breathe food and nutrition. I nerd out on these things basically every post, so if that’s the kind of thing you are into, we’ll be great friends.
I’m stoked that Angela asked me to participate in her Breakfast in Bed event for a few different reasons:
1. I love Angela and her blog. She is such a sweetheart and posts the most
delicious looking recipes.
2. I love breakfast. If I could eat breakfast for every meal of the day I totally would. In fact some days I do- don’t judge.
3. I love spreading the “healthy vegan food” word. Especially that healthy vegan food can be delicious, easy AND exciting all at the same time. No bland bird food here!
4. And finally, because it gave me an excuse to make another pancakes recipe and test it multiple times to make sure it was perfect. I am a firm believer that more pancakes = more happiness (see reason #2)
So now, about this recipe. This is basically dessert in breakfast form- yes I am giving you complete permission, as a nutritionist, to eat cookies for breakfast! Even better- cookies drizzled in maple syrup!
But don’t worry, they are packed with fiber (mmm oats) and healthy fats and only use unrefined sweeteners to keep you feeling full and satisfied and to prevent blood sugar spikes. They are Vegan and Gluten-free (make sure you use certified gluten-free oats like these). They taste sinful, but do your body good. Basically you are winning at life by eating these pancakes.
- Makes 4 small pancakes.
- 1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp water, set aside to gel
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup liquid (I used 1/2 natural apple juice and 1/2 water)
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup or coconut nectar
- 2 tbsp raisins, plus more for topping
- coconut oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, mix your ground flax and water together and set aside for 10 min to gel.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the rest of your ingredients, except the raisins to your blender and add in the flax gel when it’s ready. Blend, but not until it’s smooth, you still want texture. Add in the raisins once done and stir to incorporate.
- Grease your pan with coconut oil and pour out the batter to make 4 small pancakes. Cook for about 5 minutes on one side and couple more on the other.
- Serve hot with additional raisins and maple syrup on top!
- Instead of 2 tbsp maple syrup, you can also use 1 packet stevia + an extra tablespoon almond milk.
Best enjoyed in early morning light with a coffee. Mmmmm
These do look delicious Gabby, thanks so much for sharing!
Check back each month for another entry in the ‘Breakfast In Bed-Fest’ contest.
Thanks so much Gabby ♥
More from my site
- ‘Raw’ Sunflower Seed Crackers
- Vegan Spicy Tortilla Soup