For years I’ve been blending away all the delicious healthy ingredients for green smoothies, usually at lunch time since I leave for work before 5 am and no one wants to listen to ice crushing…including me at that time of day. I’d love to have a delicious icy drink for my morning meal but it doesn’t work out for me time wise. I also freeze left over smoothie in ball jars but it takes forever for them to thaw. Sometimes they don’t soften up for hours when I take them for work and that doesn’t work either ;(
So I’ve invented a freeze, grab and go version of a smoothie:
These little squares have all the good things in a green smoothie…and a little more. Fruit, Nut Milk, Flax, a little Vanilla Protein Mix…
And are perfectly portable!
Mix up a batch of these with your favorite smoothie flavor(s), pour it out in a lined pan, freeze and then cut into take-with squares.
- 2 Cup of ground Ginger Snap Cookies
- 1 Cup of chopped Hazel Nuts
- 1/2 Cup melted Vegan Butter
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Any fruit combination you'd like. I used 2 frozen Bananas and 2 Cup of frozen Blueberries.
- 1 Can Chilled Coconut Milk
- 3 Tbs. Ground Flax
- 2 Tbs. Protein Powder ( I used Vanilla Hemp)
- 1/3 Cups Agave or sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 2 Tbs. Arrow Root or cornstarch
- ! Sweetened Flaked Coconut for topping
- Mix the crust ingredients and scoop them out into a non stick 9 X 6 pan.
- Press the crust down to cover the bottom of your pan.
- Freeze the crust while you make the filling
- For the Smoothie filling, blend all ingredients in a blender and chill in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the freezer and pour the Smoothie blend on top of the frozen crust. Cover and freeze until completely set, about 1 hour. Sprinkle shredded coconut over the top and freeze again before cutting into squares. Wrap squares in plastic wrap and store in the freezer.
- Makes 9 large squares.
Hope you will enjoy this smoothie in a bar with your own favorite flavors. Be sure and share your successes when you give it a try!
More from my site
- Roasted Pepitas Crusted Raw – Vegan Cheeze w/ Baccio Ciliegia (“Satan’s Kiss”) Peppers
- Kathy Hester’s Sloppy Buffalo Beans