July is National Ice Cream month. More specifically, July 19th is ‘Ice Cream Day‘
So what better way to solute the popularity of the World’s best tasting, most refreshing cool dessert than to team it up with a touch of spice and a whole lot of fresh summer fruits? The folks at PersonalCreations.com asked if I’d help them celebrate the occasion with a new recipe shown off in one of their kitchen items. I picked a pie plate for mine because, well, next to ice cream, pie is my all time favorite dessert any time of year. I just combined my two loves into one big, cruelty-free dish so you wont have to scoop on the ice cream to top your piece of pie. It’s already inside your pie. Completely versatile to your own fruit favorites, I simply spiced up my fruits and then blended them in with a good quality Almond Milk Vanilla Ice Cream and poured it all into a pie crust. More fruit goes on top and a pinch of a new seasoning, for me anyway, Coriander.
Exodus, chapter 16, verse 31:
“And the house of Israel called the name there of Manna: and it was like coriander seed, white; and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey.”
Aromatic and spicy, Coriander seeds have been utilized since ancient times in cooking as well as in various traditional medicines. They are an excellent source of so many essential minerals as well as adding a subtle lemon-like flavor to sweet foods. Iron being top of the list of benefits but also Copper, Magnesium as well as being a wonderful source of dietary fiber. I added a teaspoon of finely ground Coriander to my fruit mixture here and also a final sprinkle over the top of my pie for a touch of flavor as that first spoonful of pie hits your tongue.
The sliced fruits get prepped for their Vanilla Ice Cream immersion by soaking a few hours in some traditionally Fall flavors. Cinnamon, Clove and a pinch of Sea Salt to bring out the sweetness and tang of the fruits.
How does the World continue to devour so much ice cream without a thought for the calves who die as a result or the Mothers who stand and endure unthinkable cruelty for their milk’s production. Would you want to stay pregnant for 85 % of your life so that others could have a big bowl of ice cream? Why? It doesn’t have to be this way.
And your ice cream can be just as tasty if not better. Certainly better for your body as well as their’s.
- 1 Quart of Almond Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 Spelt or Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- 4 - 5 very ripe Nectarines sliced
- 3 ripe Pears sliced
- A few slices of Lemon to help keep the Pears from oxidizing
- 3 tsp. crushed Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tbs. ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 3 - 4 Tbs. Vegan Butter melted for broiling some additional fruit slices to top.
- 2 Tbs. Coconut Sugar or Other for sprinkling on top.
- "Deep Dish" Pie Plate
- In a large glass bowl, combine your fruit slices with the cinnamon, clove, salt and crushed coriander. Stir to coat and then let the fruit sit for a few hours or covered in the fridge overnight to meld the spice flavors and allow the fruit juices to come out.
- Prepare your pie crust of choice. I baked one for my pie or if using a raw crust, chill the crust prior to adding the filling.
- Fold together the spiced fruit and a slightly softened container of Vanilla non-dairy Ice Cream.
- Pour the mix into your pie crust, smooth out the top and allow the pie to freeze for several hours to harden.
- Top the pie with broiled fruit slices and a touch more Coriander and Cinnamon Sugar.
- Thaws quickly, you can serve this straight from the freezer to plate without much down time.
- I made this pie with a traditional pastry type crust instead of a 'raw' nut, date type. This really was only because my husband ends up sharing my desserts and he isn't too fond of dates. So feel free to use your favorite Vegan soft crust in place of the Spelt version here. It's not bad this way but I would personally prefer the softer texture with the fruit and creaminess of the pie filling.
I hope you’ll be enjoying some ‘Cruelty Free’ Ice Cream this July 19th ♥
Nothing better on a hot Summer day…
More from my site
- Peanut Butter Chopped Cherry Ice Cream
- From TheVegan8.com – Brandi’s Vegan Mexican Chocolate Sweet Potato Pudding – ‘Family Favorite Desserts’ entry for July