1 year ago – “Pumpkin Spice Syrup”
Welllll….Vegan MoFo for 2013 has sadly come and gone. But wait! There’s still more fun to come on Canned-Time.com ♥
In October, my recipes will be highlighting the nutrition and scrumptiousness of the ‘ole Cucurbite or squash family.
Up first, not your boring sliced Zucchini with pasta here……….
For when you just have to indulge.
- For the Cake:
- 2 cups grated zucchini + juice
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa (use natural unsweetened cocoa, NOT Dutch processed)
- 2 heaping teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ cups organic granulated white sugar
- 2 Flax Eggs (2 Tbs. ground flax mixed with 4 Tbs. water)
- ¾ cup Vegan butter, melted (like Earth Balance brand)
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee or coffee substitute granules
- ½ teaspoon Liquid Cherry Stevia from NuNaturals or ¼ cup Cherry juice
- Grate the zucchini and allow it to drain excess moisture in a strainer while you mix up the batter.
- For the cake:
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients (except for zucchini)
- Pour the wet into the dry bowl and stir. Pour everything into a food processor or mixing bowl and blend on high until the batter is smooth. Add in the zucchini and blend again for 1 minute. Add in a small amount of the zucchini water if needed to create a wet batter that will stick to the back of a spoon.
- Line an 8 inch loaf pan with parchment paper or spray to prevent sticking. Pour in the chocolate batter and smooth evenly in the pan.
- Bake the loaf in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until the center springs back with a light touch. Cool the cake on a rack before removing from the loaf pan to serve.
- Keep cake wrapped in the refrigerator or freeze for long term storage.
- Vegan MoFo 2013 Recap
- Rosemary Grape Jam