You got it……….soup time again in Washington D.C.
This month I’m featuring one of my favorite winter veggies ‘squashes’. For this flavorful creamy soup, I combined a mellow Zucchini along with its sister squash, Butternut to re-create the cheezy texture of a broccoli soup.
This version is healthy enough to eat up all you’d like and then some. Each bowl is packed with Vitamin A for starters, Vitamin C for sure and a big dose of B-6 and Magnesium ♥
The Red Pepper Sauce is so versatile you’ll use it with chips, as a bread dip or on top of grilled veggies as well as with this soup. It’s mildly spicy and really kicks up the tang in contrast to the mellow creamy broccoli. Make up a large batch and freeze a portion in a sealed container or plastic bag so you can thaw some out anytime you want a healthy dip or garnish.
If you don’t have access to vegan non-dairy cheeses, here are a few links to great recipes for making up your own:
Any of these recipes will work with the soup just fine. You’re just looking for the creamy texture found in traditional broccoli or butternut squash soups, not necessarily a cheezy taste.
If you prefer, you can add in the broccoli pieces just before serving for a super fresh soup. I like the crunchy texture of the florets combined with the creamy soup. Both are delicious. The uncooked broccoli just adds more texture.
- For the Soup:
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups winter squash, (I used butternut and a zucchini)
- 2 cups of fresh broccoli cut into small pieces
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp of each garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper, celery seed, onion powder
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup Vegan Mozzarella cheeze or Cashew creamer (plain / not vanilla)
- For the Red Pepper Sauce:
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into large pieces
- ½ cup Vegan sour cream (I used Toffuti brand)
- or ½ cup silken tofu + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 - 3 Tbs. of Miso Paste
- For the soup:
- Add all ingredients for the soup EXCEPT the broccoli to a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer until all the veggies have softened. In small batches, puree soup in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Return the soup back to your pot and bring back to a soft boil. Add in all the broccoli and cook an additional 15 minutes before serving.
- For the red pepper sauce:
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. The sauce will be about the thickness of ketchup. Add to soup as a garnish or serve with chips or bread as a spread. Keep chilled before serving.
More from my site
- Rosemary Grape Jam
- “Frumpy” Pumpkin Spice Croissants