Enough said. This one’s a keeper.
1 cup of black beans give you 64% of your daily recommended folate intake. 60 % of your fiber. 30 % of your protein.
And a meer 20 % of your iron requirements. Wow.
And Vegan diets are lacking in nutrients? Don’t think so. Try this soup out. It’s easy, inexpensive, quick and delicious.
- 4 Cans of Organic Black Beans - NOT Rinsed
- 2 28 oz. Cans of Organic Crushed Tomatoes with Basil (See notes)
- 1 Quart Filtered Water
- 1 large Yellow Summer Squash, sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs. Cumin
- 1 Tbs. Chili Powder
- 1 Tbs. Powdered Garlic or 2 cloves minced
- 1/3 Cup fresh Lime Juice * See Notes
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Saute the Onions in Olive Oil in a large stock pot.
- Add in seasonings, squash and red pepper and cook until soft.
- Add in all other ingredients and bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer. Cover and cook on low heat for at least 1 hour.
- Carefully remove about half of the soup and puree in a blender until smooth (you may need to do this in a few batches at a time)
- Stir the pureed mix back into the soup pot.
- Return to a boil for 10 more minutes prior to serving.
- Serve with warmed flour tortillas or chips. Makes about 3 Quarts.
- * I used 2 10 oz. cans of Ro*Tel brand crushed tomatoes with Lime & Cilantro in place of 1 can of the crushed tomatoes and the lime juice listed.
1 year ago I was enjoying this: Sweet Potato Stuffed Swiss Chard Wraps with Spicy Tomato Soup
- Slow Cooker Granola with Spicy Molasses Glazed Nuts
- Broccoli & Brussels Sprouts in Spiced Orange Sauce and Wild Rice