Really wanted to share this before the Easter Holiday weekend but my work got away from me and I didn’t have time.
It’s a wonderfully easy way to make something special without any effort other than layering ingredients in a crock pot and then waking up to the smell of cinnamon and tasty apple crumble.
A busy morning brunch, family visiting? This one pot breakfast or dessert makes everyone’s stomach growl without weighing you down or packing on the pounds. I used raw cranberries in this version and was surprised at how sweet they became after cooking in with the apples and granola. They are perfectly sour but not so much that you’ll squint with the tartness. Add in your own fresh fruit to change-up the flavors like blackberries, currents, raisins, dried pineapple?
The possibilities are endless ♥
- 2 sweet apples like Fuji or Gala, sliced
- 2 cups gluten-free granola
- 2 cups non-dairy milk ( I used oat milk)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar or maple syrup
- Turn you crock pot (see notes below) to a low setting.
- Layer the slices of 1 apple over the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle the apples with half of your cinnamon sugar or maple syrup.
- Pour in 1 cup of granola. Spread 1/2 cup of cranberries on top of the granola.
- Repeat this layer again using the second half of your apple, granola, cinnamon and cranberry.
- Pour in enough milk so that your just begin to see the milk touch your top layer of granola.
- Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
- Makes 4 - 5 (1 cup) servings.
- Your layers will vary depending on the size of your crock pot. I used a small, 2 quart pot so my ingredients filled up the entire bowl. Make sure that your milk comes up just below the top layer and you should be fine. Cooking on a low temperature for at least 6 hours would be recommended but I've left it to cook for over 10 before without the oats drying out.
- Add a little more milk when reheating your leftovers to preserve a pie-like texture.
I’m off from work for a few days and plan on doing a few upgrades to the blog… wish me luck with the tech ;(
If you’re not signed up to receive my posts directly to your email, please sign up below. I have some great giveaway posts coming up and I’d hate for anyone to miss out on their chance to win some great products this spring!
More from my site
- Sarah’s ‘Chocolate Crunch Granola’ from FriedDandelions.com – March’s 2016 Nut Butter Blast entry!
- “Protein Ninja” by Terry Hope Romero + Dark Chocolate Almond Chewies